...ooh, I need to run, babe...eight days a week!
Hybrid Idea:
I think the shirt says that while we're "going the distance", our effort feels like our week is worth 8 days! Alright, enough my shameless campaigning.
This is a day of high mileage: 11 miles for the varsity.
By the way, anytime I speak of varsity in terms of the mileage, I'm referring to the boys. However, anytime someone feels they can handle the distance/workout then they should go for it. Just remember to factor in a recovery period for the day that follows or even two days.
For most of you (I'm speaking to both Varsity boys and girls only), this will be your first double-day practice. It's important that you give this a try. Your first double-day will be your hardest day of running, but you are at a point in your training that leads me to believe that you can handle this. I don't expect everyone to do this so make sure you make the right decision. If you're not sure, you can email me and I let you know what I think. If you need to make a choice between the a.m. and p.m., I would opt for the race. Again, you all need racing experience. We want to be able to go into the regular season having a few races under our belts through which you minimize some of your race anxieties.
Here's the A.M. practice information:
- Meet at the track but don't do a mile warm-up.
- Discuss the P.M. info., t-shirt, camp, etc...(something to do while you wait for the late comers.)
- Walk out to the pool.
- Run your practice slower than you normally would.
- The map...I put down the flattest run possible without going on the track (which you shouldn't do...20 laps of turns is probably harder on the legs than a hill run.).
- Go back to the track, walk a lap, do 4 Strides @ 50 meters (50 percent effort!) Don't SPRINT!!!--are you reading this, Sean L. and Sean S.?
- Good stretching and No Core Exercises!
- Legg Lake Information
- Someone (or more) should really look over the above information. Print it out, get to Google maps and type in the address...print the map, too. (Ask Mom and Dad about the driving part for the best way possilbe...maybe they can come, too.)
- As you'll see, the race is @ 6:30pm...if you want to do this as a team, then you should meet each other at the school at 5pm and leave no more than 5 minutes after that. There are still way too many people coming late--they ruin it for you if you wait for them too much more than that. Remember, you'll want to factor in the Rush Hour traffic. It'll be pretty bad at that time--really bad!!
- Also, I noticed many of you at C.O.C. last week did not do any warm-up or at least anything to resemble one that is considered proper. That could account for at least 5-10 seconds per mile--15-30 seconds in a three mile race is HUGE!!! Please warm up 2 miles (17-20 minutes jogging)...you might even consider running the course. While you jog it over, discuss with each other the nuances of the terrain--the hills, the grass, the pavement--discuss your pacing tactics. WHO CARES ABOUT HOW FAST YOU ARE THAT FIRST HALF MILE?--ABSOLUTELY NOBODY!!!
- Spend another 5-10 minutes stretching. Then do 4 Strides about 5 minutes before the race. Don't sit down before the race, waiting for it to happen. Keep the legs moving and stay loose!
Now, for some interesting stuff:
- Here are the results of the last C.O.C. race. It looks like DyestatCal remembers Coach Thatcher! Also, if your name looks butchered, it's your own fault. When you fill out a card with your name, make sure you print legibly. By the way, I think we looked pretty good. Lots of good marks!!
- Now, I'm posting a video which I think our Lady Spartans will find quite inspirational, at least I hope so. I also think the guys will like it too. I loved it and began dreaming of our own team's potential! I think the film really does a great job documenting what a real cross country team does during a season. This was produced by Shannon Rowbury who incidentally won the Olympic trial in the 1500 meters. She has a real good chance of medaling in her event. Please watch the video. I hope you do! Here it is.
Hope to see you tomorrow...later today, I will put up the new Poll for the T-shirt.
That was good. Thanks Coach.
ReplyDeleteyou're welcome...thanks for watching! :)
ReplyDelete