Thursday

Happy New Year!!

Let's get back into shape!
Time to think about the oval!
There's still enough time to get you ready for your track season!

I hope to hear from some of you in the near future.

Here's an old film I dug up. See if you can find me. (Don't look for a bald guy!)

2 comments:

  1. Andy,
    Barry Miller here. I found out about our coach two days after my mom passed away back on Jan. 11th and I'm only now able to write about it. Along with my father he was the most powerful male influence in my life. We were lucky to have him, and I think he was kinda lucky to have us. He took me to three C.I.F. finals;
    3rd in the 440 relay in 75, 4th in the mile relay in 76 (with your brother Mike) and 3rd in the 440 relay and GOLD in the mile relay in 77. I know I made him crazy (it was the 70's after all) and I tried to make him proud. He was funny in a twisted sorta way. In 10th grade, after a very successful frosh soph season in the 100 and 220, the day before league prelims he tells me I'm entered in the 440. I had never run a quarter before nor did I have any desire to so. After winning my prelim in 53.8 I told him "I don't like the 440" and he said "Well Miller, the 440 loves you." I won the final in 53.2 and a quarter miler was born. I loved him very much, and in his tough ass own way I know he loved us...even though most afternoons at workout it seemed like he was trying to kill us. I KNOW he was always proud of you, and so am I buddy. Tell your kids there's an old hippie quartermiler up in Ventura who's with them every step of the way...except Shoal Canyon...I hated that workout, because once a Spartan always a Spartan. Give my love to your family....AND GO SPARTANS!!!!!!
    Peace,
    Barry Miller

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry, I can't believe I'm reading your comment. Thanks so much for your wonderful words!!! I always wondered what happened to you. I should tell you that when I was a freshman, I was in awe of you. You were one fast white dude! I think with the proper training, you could've been like Jeremy Wariner.

    But, you're right! We were lucky to have Logan. And I'm so sorry you lost your mother. I do remember her so very well. Seeing her in the stands during our home meets. Talk about proud! She was so proud of you, Barry. I was up in the stands with my parents as an 8th grader watching my older brother, Mike...but she was so cute, with her Brooklyn accent (was she from New York)...I swear she had that accent--am I remembering correctly? Anyway, you were fast as hell! Man, those days are when LC track was the best sport in the high school...

    I went to Logan's wake up in Seattle with Peter Magill. It was such a nice tribute to a great man. I miss him a lot.

    It would be cool to see you some time if you are in the area. Please email me if you are. (adiconti@gmail.com) By the way, my parent live in the Ventura Keys...I love Ventura!

    Take care, Barry...thanks again for your nice comments, you've got a good soul, man!

    ReplyDelete